High school is the time to learn the art of money

“Money is not everything, but everything needs money.”

My father often said this to me. It was a bit confusing at first, but even today I remember the phrase when I manage my money.

I think I learned a lot about money from my father. He used to tell me that if I wanted something, I could not just ask money from my parents all the time.

I needed to know that earning the money was not easy.

Because I went to high school in Perth, Australia, I sometimes took part-time jobs during school breaks. I found working very interesting, so sometimes I worked beyond the holiday season.

I saved the money I got from working in a bank account. I was also such a frugal boy when I was a teenager that I managed to save quite a lot from my weekly allowance.

No, I did not do any budgeting or planning. It was more about habit. I just did not go shopping much and

I did not spend much on clothes or accessories. The biggest portion of my money went to food when I hung out with my friends. And sometimes I bought CDs.

In the end I used my savings to get myself a car. I wanted to have my own car but my parents did not want to buy one for me. It was an old car, worth around AU $3,000, but I really liked it because I bought it myself.

As for now, I think I am less careful with my money, but it is because I need to spend more because of my job.

What is probably better is that I now do this budgeting thing. I save my paychecks from commercials and hosting Indonesian Idol and use my regular salary to pay for my daily needs.

I am thinking about investing the money I’m saving in property, or another investment that would give me regular income in the future without having to go to work.

We all definitely need money, but it cannot guarantee you happiness. For me, I do not want to let myself think of money as the only goal in life, just to cover my needs and that is all.

Daniel Manantha

Daniel is an MTV video jockey and
the host of Indonesian Idol. He spends his
spare time running
his DAMN! I love Indonesia clothing line.

Source

Popular posts from this blog

Cinta Restiana By Didit Priyanto